Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Chaos Factor




“The Chaos Factor”

by

Geoff Boccia

Feb. 2012



“The Chaos Factor”

Present day.
Black screen.
SOUND – Husker Du – Makes No Sense At All.
Title (blue, gray, red)

FADE IN

INT. SHABBY APARTMENT - DAY

Minimal furniture.
Several cardboard boxes.
Short stacks of papers, photos.
A bass guitar.
Music, lower volume.
The front door opens.
Enter JANIE. (25ish, attractive)

JANIE
Greg? Are you here?

Some banging sounds, shuffling of boxes.

GREG
(muffled) Minute!

JANIE
Where are you?
(indicates boxes and photos)
What is this stuff?

ENTER GREG from hallway, carrying box.

GREG
Just a bunch of shit from the attic. Band stuff.

JANIE
Band stuff? You mean from when you were
a kid? Like, school band?

GREG
(pointed glance)
Yes, gonna dust off the old Tuba.
No, my old punk band, Kaos Faktor.
I told you about that, right?

JANIE
Um, no.
Punk band? Like, Sum41?
(laughs)

GREG
Jesus wept. No not that candy ass stuff.
Hardcore. Eighties shit.
I told you about this.

JANIE
Yeah, no, you didn't.
When you said you were in a band,
I thought you meant like marching and stuff.

GREG stops rummaging through box, looks slowly up at Janie.

GREG
So the incessant Ramones and Minor Threat
and Clash records I play were no indication
to you that I was probably not a Glockenspiel player?

JANIE
(laughing)
Records. HA! You don't even have any records.
You mean the MP3s you play, old man?
Never paid them any attention.

GREG
Hand me that photo album.
What, you never heard of them?
JANIE hands over photo album.



JANIE
I've heard of them, I think.
Just never listened to them before.
I mean, the stuff you play, most of it
I don't really care for.


GREG
Get out of my house, heathen!
You would've freaked if you'd seen me then.
Probably crossed the street and hoped
I didn't get your scent.

JANIE sits in chair across from Greg.

JANIE
Why are you pulling all this stuff out?

GREG shuffles through photos.

GREG
Happened across it while looking for my heavy coat.
It's been a while since I looked at this stuff.
Sometimes I just pull it out and go through it.

JANIE
Does this have anything to do with that call you got
last night? The guy, the sick guy?

GREG
(not really listening, staring at photo)
Hmm? What? Oh, well, probably. He
was in the band. Look how young!

JANIE
Do you want to go out tonight?
Haley and Ryan want to go to the Rubber Room.

GREG
Can I pass? I just don't feel it tonight.

JANIE
(rolls eyes)
Whatever. I'm going out, though.

GREG
(absently) Oh, have fun.
GREG (CONT'D)
Where's my damn phone? You seen it?

JANIE
On the sofa, behind you.
You sure you don't want to go out?

JANIE stands.

GREG stands, puts up finger to indicate that Janie wait, dials phone.


GREG
(into phone)
Jared? Hey, assclown.
(laughs) Yeah, I know...

JANIE
I'm gonna go get ready.

JANIE walks toward door.

GREG mouths goodbye, waves and turns away


GREG
(into phone)
What? Oh, nah, they're at their Mom's.
Hey, listen, you get a call from Leo?
No shit, damn shame, man. He says six months to a year.
So I was thinking, we should get together, all of us,
you know, one last time, as it were.

JANIE looks back angrily, leaves closing door behind her.

GREG (CONT'D)
Don't ya think? Can you get up with Mikey?
I'll call Leo and ask him if he's up for it.
I guess we'll have to go up to Woodbridge, I
don't think he can travel much.
Yeah, you guys can drive down together, right?
Fuck yes, man. It'll be great, get his spirits up, maybe.

GREG sits on sofa, crosses legs, still on phone.

FADE


INTERIOR. POSH APARTMENT - EVENING

JARED spins in chair, phone at ear.

JARED
What's up, jerk-off?
What are you doin'?
Yeah? Sounds awful. That shit will kill you, you know.
(laughs)
So, I got a call from Jinx. You talk to Leo lately?
Yeah, I know, man. Bad shit.
What is it...amyloidosis, or something?
I never heard of it before. But it's taking his ass out.
I can't believe he only has six months or whatever.
Jinx thinks we should get together, man.
In Woodbridge, 'cause Leo probably can't travel.
I'll drive, dude. And get us a hotel room.
Ok, as soon as I know when, I'll call ya.
See ya, fag.

JARED drops the phone into shirt pocket. He rotates back and forth in chair. He stands, walks to a table. Picks up pill bottle, opens it, takes one pill. He looks into a mirror with dead eyes.

CUT TO:

INTERIOR. DINGY APARTMENT – DAY

LEO sits on bed, hands on knees, shirtless. He is fighting nausea. His face is pale and lined. A large bandage covers his right side, below his ribs. With great effort, he stands and walks to bathroom. SOUNDS of RETCHING. A phone RINGS.

LEO
Fuck. Just a minute, goddammit.
LEO staggers from bathroom to beside table. Picks up phone, checking caller id. Smiles warmly.

LEO
(into phone)
What's up, hero?
Oh, fine. Just doing some therapeutic vomiting.
No, the cure, man. Makes me feel like shit.
But it looks like this is my last round of chemo, thank God.
What? When?
Oh, man, I'd love that, sounds great.
All of you nut jobs? In one place? I'll warn the mayor.
No, man, I'll be fine, seriously. Just get down here. It'll be fuckin' awesome!



INTERIOR. CAR – DAY

Coffee cups
Duffel bags

JARED is driving.
MIKEY D. is passenger.

JARED
This should be fun, man! Been a long time since I've seen either of those two.

MIKEY D.
(quietly)
Yeah.

Long pause.

MIKEY D.
What's he gonna be like? Not all gnarled and fucked up looking, I hope.
I can't imagine him like that.

JARED
Who, Jinx? He's always been gnarled and fucked up looking.

MIKEY D.
Don't be an asshole. Leo. I mean, he is fucking dying.

JARED
You can't be all fucking morbid when we get there, man. I'm sure that is the last
thing he needs. You fucking ex-junkies are always thinking about death and shit.

MIKEY D.
I am a recovering junkie, dude. Not such thing as an ex-junkie. Anyway, what's the
deal on his disease or whatever? No cure?
JARED
Jinx told me there isn't anything left for them to do. He is done. Sucks.

MIKEY D.
He can't go to Europe or India or some shit? I hear they have experimental shit
we can't have here in the States.

JARED
I'm pretty sure he's thought of everything he can. Besides, you don't want to go to
some backwards-ass quack who injects you with elephant semen or whatever...




MIKEY D.
What the fuck, dude? Elephant semen?

JARED
I read that some psycho doctor in Bulgaria or someplace was injecting elephant
jizz in his patients. True shit, man.

MIKEY D.
Forget that shit, dude.

JARED
You can't. It's elephant semen.

MIKEY D.
(chuckles)
You're retarded. Seriously, I don't know, man. I don't know if I can handle seeing him...
dying. I mean, that is fucking black, man, as black and bad as anything I can think of.
He was a killer singer, this crazy screaming lunatic, always jumping all over the place.
More alive than anyone. I don't know, dude. It just hits you in the gut.

JARED
You gotta stop talking like that. Don't be so fucking selfish. He is the one dying, not you.
Give him a good send-off, not a bunch of morbid stupid shit. I don't like it either, dude, but
we can't go in there and be like “Wow, man, this really sucks! You are gonna be dead in a few
months. Pass the salt.” Get your shit together.

MIKEY D.
You're right, I know. Just sucks, is all.

They ride in silence for a long moment.

MIKEY D.
Elephant jizz. What the fuck, man.

INTERIOR. HOTEL LOBBY – EVENING

MIKEY D. and JARED are standing at the reception desk speaking with the hotel attendant. MIKEY D. is looking around the lobby in mild embarrassment, JARED is pulling out credit card and signing hotel receipts. They both have duffel bags slung on their shoulders.

JARED
(to hotel employee)
Can I get a room on a lower floor?

HOTEL EMPLOYEE
I don't think we have anything else, sir. Let me see...
(pauses, types on keyboard, looking at screen)
No, nothing lower, sir. We have a convention this weekend.

JARED
(absently)
Oh yeah? Of what?

HOTEL EMPLOYEE
The blind, sir.

MIKEY D.
(turning)
What?

HOTEL EMPLOYEE
(smiling thinly)
The blind, sir. Persons who cannot see.

MIKEY D.
(tightly)
I know what blind means, thanks. But they have conventions? I mean, that is surprising. I can't imagine for what. Like a support thing? “Hey, I'm blind, too. Let's drink coffee and tell blind stories.”?

HOTEL EMPLOYEE
I think it's more of a convention for blind persons to see new things to make their lives a bit easier.
JARED
Feel things.

HOTEL EMPLOYEE
I'm sorry?

JARED
Feel things. You said “see” things. They are blind. You might want to remember that when someone comes up and asks you for directions to the can.

HOTEL EMPLOYEE
(smiling)
Oh, I see, yes. So far they have been very easy to deal with.

MIKEY D.
You were expecting what, a riot? Attacks on hotel personnel? “Yes, officer, there is one of the culprits now, wrestling that Ficus tree to the ground. Pepper spray him!”

JARED
Does pepper spray work on blind people?




MIKEY D.
I don't know. Good question. We should ask one of them.

JARED
Don't know how that question will go over, dude. Might make them a tad nervous if you go over there and ask that. Besides, they can smell ex-junkies. Excuse me, recovering junkies.

HOTEL EMPLOYEE looks sharply up, alarmed.

JARED
Oh, don't worry. He was addicted to gay sex. He's in recovery now.

MIKEY D.
Jesus Christ, Jared! You asshole.

JARED
I am his sponsor. I will make sure he doesn't rub up against any of the blind people. Or the Ficus
trees.

MIKEY D.
He is kidding.

JARED
That's true. I can't keep him away from Ficus trees, no matter what I try. I suppose I'll have to
get the horse tranquilizers. Only thing that can keep a gay sex addict from Ficus molestation is
strong horse tranquilizers.

CUT TO: WIDE SHOT

MIKEY D. turns and walks to middle of lobby, muttering. Jared is completing the check-in.

CUT TO: MEDIUM SHOT


A blind man walks toward MIKEY D. who nods, then winces.

MIKEY D.
Good afternoon.

BLIND MAN
Hello.

JARED approaches carrying hotel papers and key.

JARED
Ok, all set. Let's get up to the room and...



From behind MIKEY D. and JARED


GREG
Look at these two degenerates!

GREG walks in. JARED and MIKEY D. turn toward him.

MIKEY D.
(smiling)
Look at you, man! You look good, dude. Happy.

JARED
Jinx! You old fucker.

GREG
No, not Jinx. Not for a long time, anyway. Call me Greg, man.

JARED
Don't know if I can do that. It'll take some getting used to.

MIKEY D. hugs GREG. JARED spins GREG around, hugs him.

GREG
So you guys decided to come a day early as well, I see.

MIKEY D.
Yeah, I want to go back to the old stomping grounds, see the sights...

JARED
And I can stop in on a client. Haven't seen the guy face-to-face in a couple of years.

GREG
We should grab dinner somewhere, then. I wonder if Filomena's is still open. Get some gnocchi
and some risotto.

JARED
Shit! I remember that place. You took us there a couple of times. They always made us sit in the
little alcove thing in the back by the kitchen. Good food, though.

MIKEY D.
I don't remember that place. Where was it?

GREG
Wisconsin Avenue. Just off M street. Next to the canal.




MIKEY D.
Hmm. Doesn't ring a bell. But, hey, I was fucked up most of the time.

GREG
I'm gonna check in. Meet you guys in the lobby?

JARED
Ok, cool.

CUT TO:

INT. HOTEL ROOM – DAY

GREG is unpacking his suitcase.

SOUND – a cel phone RINGS

GREG
(looking at caller id)
Shit.
(answers phone)
Yeah? Stop. What, now? Ok...
Hmm. I'm sorry, but I am in DC. (pause) Well, that's not my fault. I should have told you?! (pause) No, that's not how this works. You said you had to take the kids to your Mom's this weekend, so I decided to take a little road trip to see Leo. I do not have to “run things by you”. We are divorced. (pause) Look, I gotta go. Bye.

GREG angrily disconnects. He throws open suitcase on the dresser, turns, walks toward window.

SOUND – cel phone RINGS

GREG checks caller id. He looks up, shaking his head.

GREG
(answering phone)
Hi, sweetie! (pause) Well, no, honey, I am in DC. I wish I could. You know I always want to spend time with you, but I am visiting some people. (pause) No, Mommy didn't tell me that.
(pause) I'm sorry, kiddo. I'll be back in a couple of days, we can be together then, ok? (pause)
Ok, honey. Kisses for you and your brother and sister. Bye.

GREG makes as though to throw the phone against the wall but checks himself before he releases.

GREG
(screams)
FUCK!!




CUT TO:

INT. HOTEL ROOM – DAY

JARED is hanging shirts in the closet. MIKEY D. is sitting on the bed flipping through television channels.

MIKEY D.
So, Jinx looks good. I thought he would be a little more, I dunno, stressed out looking.

JARED
Well, it's been a year since the divorce. He's gotten over it.

MIKEY D.
Well, he told me he still loves her, a couple months ago on the phone.

JARED
Yeah? Well, that ship has sailed, apparently. He should get a girlfriend, get laid.

MIKEY D.
He has one. Jennifer or something. She is younger. He said she is dumb as a pair of pink panties.

JARED
The best kind. Is she hot?

MIKEY D.
I guess. But he says he doesn't want to see her anymore. Says she's too much trouble.

JARED
They always are. Plus, with his kids and all, I bet that makes it harder. He worships those kids.

MIKEY D.
Yeah. They are amazing kids, I mean, really smart and capable.

JARED
And this surprises you? He is one of the smartest people I have ever known. Too bad he can't do
something with it. He should be a novelist or a film-maker or a teacher. But he just can't deal
with the shit in his life.

MIKEY D.
Yeah, he is definitely smarter than the rest of us. But that rage...it'll kill him eventually. Never
met an angrier person in my life.

JARED
Yeah, smart doesn't mean shit if you just don't do anything with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment